Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Last Minute Madness: A Homecoming Horror Story

By Elizabeth Goodrich
Edited by Emma Sweeney
(Homecoming)

My heart raced as I ran around the mall in pursuit of the perfect dress. Just 20 minutes before, I was getting off the ice, ending my hockey game with a loss in overtime. As someone with little to no free time and a rancor for shopping, it was no surprise I had waited until the very last minute to get my dress. Now, with the dance a little over two hours away, I was in a frenzy.
Frantically, I paced through the concourse of the mall, scanning through the stores for the ideal homecoming dress while my mom trailed close behind, barely able to keep up with my stride. My hope began to fade as we neared the end of the mall, still without a dress. We had one store left; Macy’s, and I prayed they would have what I was looking for. I dashed through the aisles, coming close to a sprint until finally we reached the dress section. I stood there in awe admiring all of the beautiful dresses before grabbing a few in my size and heading to the dressing room. There, I spent a good 20 minutes trying on, comparing, and re-trying on dresses until finally I settled for a simple-fitted white dress with a sparkle-embroidered upper half and a light, flowy skirt perfect for dancing in. Without delay, we scampered to the cash register and checked out. I left the store feeling accomplished by my purchase and eager to spend the rest of the night in my brand new dress.
My excitement was short-lived, however, when I got back into the car and looked at the clock on dashboard, realizing it was already 5:30! At this point, I began to panic. How on earth was I supposed to get home, get ready, and eat dinner all within an hour and 20 minutes? My mom, who sensed my unease, told me everything was going to be ok and assured me we’d make it home in time, though I can’t say I believed her. At this point, it felt as if the whole world was against me. Every stoplight we came to turned red, every intersection became busy when we arrived, and we got caught in traffic more times than I could count. Nonetheless, we made it home by 6:25, leaving me approximately 25 minutes to shower, eat dinner, do my hair and nails, and get to the dance. No pressure.
As soon as I got inside, I dashed into the bathroom, setting a new record for world’s fastest shower. After washing up, I got into my dress and put my hair up in a simple braided bun, abandoning my original hair plans that would have taken more time than I had to spare. On my way out the door, I scarfed down my dinner; a turkey and cheese sandwich.
Fortunately, I live close to the school, so I didn’t have to worry about a long drive. In the car, I finished painting my nails and put on all of my jewelry. When we finally arrived at the school, I met up with my friends and we got in line to get into the event.

At last, I made my way into the dance, no more than a few minutes late, the stress of the past few hours easing away as the gym doors shut behind me. I spent the rest of the evening dancing with friends, eating yummy baked goods, and having a great time.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very interesting story... maybe next time you should get your dress before the day of the dance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms. Goodrich,

    Incredibly well-written, original, and engaging story. Your use of vocabulary is superb, and your ability in writing in evident. This is a story I enjoyed reading; good luck to your next story.

    Sincerely,

    Mustang Stampede Patron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! I am glad everything worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete