Monday, June 19, 2017

How Was Your First Year At MHS?


By Trie Yale
Edited By Trie Yale
(School Life)

As 8th graders, we came into the high school not really knowing what it was really like. We had theories about how the year was going to go, and how we were going to be treated by the upper class men.  The high school hadn't been seen by many of us 8th graders, so it seemed like just a huge maze! Below will be interviews with three of our freshmen this year. I asked them how they thought their first year of high school was going to go, versus how their year actually went.

Interview with Emily Morin:

How did you think your first year of high school was going to go?- “Lost and bullied. I thought there was also going to be more freedom. I had a lot of worry coming into the high school, but it ended up not being as bad as I thought.”

How did your first year of high school actually go?- “Stress. Meltdowns; mental meltdowns two to three times a week.  Not a lot of social time out of school because I had so much homework over the weekends. Other than some of the stressful things, my first year at MHS was absolutely awesome. We went to states for field hockey which was an amazing experience. Overall my first year here was great!”

Interview with Julia Gregoire:

How did you think your first year of high school was going to go?- “I thought I was going to get lost daily, and struggle in my classes because people told me they were difficult. I was pretty worried about my first year, but I came in everyday and got lost a few times on the way.”

How did your first year of high school actually go?- “My weekends were basically just homework, so I didn't really have a lot of time to do the things I wanted to do. I thought I would be able to hang out with friends and go places, but most of the time I was stuck at home working. Overall, my first year was something I wouldn't take back because it was amazing experience.”

Interview with Maija Jaakkola:

How did you think your first year of high school was going to go?- “I thought there weren't going to be many rules, like in the movies. I thought we were going to be able to do most anything we wanted to do. When we got here though, it was like we were piled with a bunch of work; all just thrown at us at once.”


How did your first year of high school actually go?- “A lot of stress and work, and I didn't have much down time. In the beginning of the year I had a lot of stuff like sports and it was a lot to handle at once. Once sports ended it got a little better, but then I just had more work. But that is what high school is all about. Being independent and having enough grit to get through the year.”

No comments:

Post a Comment