Friday, April 28, 2017

Jeffrey Fosgate's Exquisite Array of Enticing Epigrams


by Jeffrey Fosgate

edited by Parker Jalbert

The Bananagram

The banana, a fruit of magnificent taste,
a poem for it, I will make with great haste!
My feelings for bananas run deep like a pond,
for my feelings for bananas are quite fond!

Since I was a child, my mother would say,
“Eat at least one banana, once every day.”
As it was my mother, I could not not resist
to devour this fruit that, for my life, I had missed.

‘Twas a warm summer day upon the discovery
Of this fruit, its addiction of which has no recovery.
As innocent as its appearance could be,
Enjoying this fruit seemed impossible to me!

Even with the comfort of warmth from the Sun,
And the beautiful skies (for the day was still young!),
My mind was devout in preventing the consumption
Of this fruit, its taste of which was only an assumption.

Even with this gustatory isolation,
One feeling in particular gave me quite a sensation.
‘Twas a feeling that told me to not resist
Peeling open a banana with my hand and my wrist.

With reluctancy first, I peeled the skin back,
Although not too forcefully - only a crack!
However, upon seeing the yellow underneath,
I felt like sinking in it with my teeth!

“How could this be?”, I thought to myself.
“And you’re telling me this thing is good for my health?”
“Why do I feel this sudden urge to taste,
What I once looked at like it was nuclear waste?”

With excitement, yet caution, I took my first bite
Of a ripe, young banana - oh, the yellow delight!
Immediately noticing its succulent flavor,
I realized this fruit was something to savor!

I chewed it again, this time with assurance
That tasting this treat would not be an endurance.
Rather, I came to accept with ease,
That this was a fruit that could only please.

As I took more bites, I had failed to recall
That my banana had diminished to nothing at all.
With ambition to savor this fruit once again,
I got another banana and sliced it into ten.

This time, I ate it, slice by slice,
Like eating it whole, it was so very nice!
I was confident more so than ever before
That a banana was something to greatly adore.

Perhaps you could say I’m addicted to fruits,
That determining my favorite’s a heavy dispute.
However, I know in the bottom of my heart
that bananas unquestionably top the charts.

To this very day, it is my pleasure,
beyond any conceivable, definable measure,
to introduce bananas into my days,
in various, unique, quite different ways!

Perhaps you, the reader, will agree with me
when I say that bananas are a delight to see.
If you disagree, however, I almost find it a gest
to proclaim that bananas are simply the best!

images

The Young Boy’s Wish

There was once a young boy, so poor and alone,
who, despite his poor nature, had a melodic tone.
‘Twas a wonderful tune about journeys at sea,
and how all of the pirates were finally free.

The townsfolk around him could not help but wonder
what poor human soul would sing such a blunder.
Despite all these beat-downs, and his minimal pay,
He sat down and sang this song once every day.

One night, as he sung on a bench in his town,
up approached a man with a terrible frown.
He said, with great anger, for his words he did not heed,
“Keep your words to yourself; I’ve got children to feed!

I get home from work every day and hear you
sing your terrible tunes; the townspeople must fear you!
Can you not see the urgency of our lives?
Buzz off, little kid; I’ve got a family of five!”

The stern old man had waddled away
To the warmth of his home as he does every day.
However, for our poor, lonely young boy,
His song’s the only thing that brings him joy.

As he went in the alleyway, quick as a sheep,
preparing once again for his bitter night’s sleep.
he remembered that old tune in his head,
and before he went to sleep, he said,

“Oh me, oh my, I wish I could sail,
For, on this Earth’s seas, I’d leave quite the trail!
I’d be able to see all the seven seas,
Now that’s the life for me!

Oh me, oh my, I wish I could row,
On a nice, wooden sailboat, wherever it goes!
I’d find all sorts of creatures and all sorts of fish,
But I’m afraid it’s just that - an ambitious wish…”

There once was a young boy, so very afraid,
who, despite his poor nature, forced himself to be brave!
He knew that his wish was his destiny,
so he looked for solutions all over the streets.

One night, as he sung on the side of the streets,
A man in a cart drove beside him with glee.
He said, with enthusiasm, seeing opportunity,
“Hey kid, how’d you like to work with me?”

Although quite unsure of his job at first,
He’d do anything to get some money in his purse.
Regardless, the little boy remembered his wish,
And politely said “Yes” in his usual pitch.

The man, with excitement, drove his cart away,
Saying, “Meet me tomorrow kid; same place as today!”
For our poor, lonely little boy, however,
It seemed as if he’d be poor forever.

As he once again jostled to his alleyway,
Confused, at the moment, on just what to say,
He remembered, one more, that tune in his head,
And before he went to sleep he said,

“Oh me, oh my, I wish I could sail,
For, on this Earth’s seas, I’d leave quite the trail!
I’d be able to see all the seven seas,
Now that’s the life for me!

Oh me, oh my, I wish I could row,
On a nice, wooden sailboat, wherever it goes!
I’d find all sorts of creatures and all sorts of fish,
Perhaps it may not just be an ambitious wish!”

There once was a young boy, cautious and scared,
Who, despite his poor nature, had made a great dare.
His wish had looked closer after so long,
He felt as if he could do nothing wrong!

As promised before, he walked far away,
And he stood in the spot he was on yesterday,
When suddenly, the man in the cart came right by,
With a look of enthusiasm in his eyes.

“I’m glad you could make it!” the man said out loud.
“I’ve got one small request and a reward quite profound!
Take this letter of mine five miles from here,
And I’ll sail you, by sailboat, across the pier!”

The young boy grabbed the letter with ease,
And swiftly jogged away, for his aim was to please!
The man laughed with joy and drove right away,
Perhaps the boy’s dreams shall be granted today!

As he scurried about, both at day and at night,
Never giving up and showing great might,
He yet again remembered that tune in his head,
And as he was taking his breath, he said,

“Oh me, oh my, I wish I could sail,
For, on this Earth’s seas, I’d leave quite the trail!
I’d be able to see all the seven seas,
Now that’s the life for me!

Oh me, oh my, I wish I could row,
On a nice, wooden sailboat, wherever it goes!
I’d find all sorts of creatures and all sorts of fish,
Not all is hopeless for my little wish!”

There once was a young boy, so exhausted and tired,
who, despite his poor nature, was often admired!
With every step he took, he suspected the notion
That’d he’d finally be able to row a boat in the ocean!

With five miles behind him - a bested trail,
He’d finally be able to deliver the mail.
Even upon his long journey back,
The will to give up, he sorely lacked!

With his now weakened knees and his arms flopping down,
The man saw that the boy’s strength was world-renowned.
He said, “I hope you’ve got your sea legs in your hands,
For, when you see me next, you shall float above land!

With oars in your hands, and wood under your toes,
I hope you’re prepared to sail and row!”
As the man suddenly started driving away,
The boy knew he’d remember the day after today!

As he walked far away to a massive, vast field,
He took one knee and he started to kneel.
Looking above at the stars up ahead,
He remembered that tune in his head, so he said,

“Oh me, oh my, I wish I could sail,
For, on this Earth’s seas, I’d leave quite the trail!
I’d be able to see all the seven seas,
Now that’s the life for me!

Oh me, oh my, I wish I could row,
On a nice, wooden sailboat, wherever it goes!
I’d find all sorts of creatures and all sorts of fish,
Tomorrow, I shall fulfill my wish!”

There once was a young boy, ambitious and strong,
And his poor nature didn’t matter all along!
It’s as if he could smell the ocean from afar,
As he praised this day, when he’d row near and far!

With absolute might, like a powerful boar,
He, once again, stood in the spot from before.
His excitement heightened as the man pulled nearby,
Offering him a seat, saying, “Come on inside!”

In a matter of minutes, the skies and the trees,
Showed their true inner beauty; it was heaven to see!
Both the man and the boy knew, quite simply then,
That a dream would be fulfilled, one for each of the men!

With caution, but with passion, they got on a boat,
One made out of wood which stayed surprisingly afloat.
With a heave! and a ho! the boat launched from the shore,
‘Twas a sight the young boy could only adore!

As the boy grasped in all of the sights he could see,
And talked with the man, overpowered by glee,
He most certainly remembered that tune in his head,
And along with the man in the boat, he said,
“Oh me, oh my, I wished I could sail,
For, on this Earth’s seas, I knew I’d make quite the trail!
I knew I’d be able to see all the seven seas,
Now this is the life for me!

Oh me, oh my, I wished I could row,
On this nice, wooden sailboat, wherever it goes!
I see fish, and skies, and blue waters, too,
Dreams do come true!”

boat-h12153large.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Thank you all for a bit of poetry this morning. Some I liked better than others - as we all will. Poetry is often a personal form of expression and will touch us one way today, but another way tomorrow. Your willingness to share put a smile on my face this morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive Mr.Fosgate, you surprise me everyday with something new. you make your people proud Jefferey keep up the great work. ;)

    ReplyDelete