Monday, April 3, 2017

Hurdling to Victory

Hurdling to Victory
By Jake Abbott
Edited by Benjamin Samson
(Sports)

     The track team has put in a lot of hard work to be one of the best in the state. I interviewed Kwinton Biener who is a freshman on the track team. Here are the questions and his responses to them. “What are your predictions for this track season?” his response was “I think we are going to have an incredibly successful season. We have a lot of new freshman joining the team this year and now we are stronger than ever.” The next question I asked him was “Do you like the coaching staff?” He replied with “Yes, I had coach Bates during the indoor season. I think he's an amazing coach. We also have coach Carbone coaching the girls team and sprinters. He's been coaching for a long time and I think he's a fantastic coach as well.” I proceeded to ask “How long have you been doing track?” He said “I've been doing track since the sixth grade. I originally did it only because my sisters did it as well. But now I've developed a love for the sport and plan on doing it throughout my high school years.” Then I asked him “How do you think the eighth graders coming up will do next year?” He said “I did track with the eighth graders last year. They are a silly group of people, but I know once they join the high school team, they'll become serious about the sport. They are great athletes and it'll definitely help us next year. We can never have too many teammates.” The last question that I asked Kwinton was “Do you hope to get a scholarship to college for track?” He replied with “Everybody hopes to get a scholarship from somewhere, but I have other plans for my future involving music and entertainment. Track just doesn't seem to fit into those plans.”

     I think that the track team has a lot of potential this year and in the future. I hope that they can get a lot of wins this season. The program definitely looks like it's heading in the right direction. It seems as though the team is very set on its goals and will do everything they can to reach them. We'd love to see another banner in the gym, maybe the team can make a sprint for it this year.

1 comment: